The holidays are upon us and are a joyous time of the year. It offers us time to reconnect with friends and family but for some this can also be stressful. One may feel the pressure to buy or give a gift, financial worries and the all-around hectic time of parties or places to be and be seen. This time of year arrives upon us quickly and there never seems to be enough time to get it all done.
Fortunately, there are few things we all can do that can help reduce holiday stress and enjoy this time of year. Here are a few tips to consider.
- Prepare yourself for the holidays by knowing your spending limits as money can be one of the biggest causes of stress during the holiday season.
- Be organized with a list or appointment book to keep track of events and tasks.
- Sharing tasks and not being afraid to ask for help as you don’t have to do it all by yourself.
- Learn to say “no”. Sometimes you need to say “no” to certain events that will give you time to attend events you do want to and will enjoy.
- During the holidays take breaks from group activities to pay attention to your needs and feelings. Spending a little time by yourself if you can by meditation, relaxing breathing or a short walk to unwind.
- Sleep, eat and exercise regularly because taking care of yourself will help you deal with stressful situations that come upon us during the holidays.
- Get support if needed as holidays can trigger depression. Sometimes we need help and it is good to speak with a physician for counselling or treatment.
Enjoy yourself and all that life brings. Have a safe holiday season and a happy New Year from your friends at Physicians Immediate Care.